Thursday, March 27, 2008

Waraku + Santouka

Had dinner at Central twice this week. Once with Helen, Amy and Yihui at Wakaru! One of my favourite Japanese family restuarant which never fails to satisfy my gourmet tendencies each time. Ordered my favourite Rindo (Katsu don + Zaru Udon + Soba). =)

Yihui came later as she was stuck in office till about 8+ but still decided to join us nevertheless! We got a window seat fortunately and was able to enjoy the night view at Clarke Quay. Took some random pics below. Enjoy~

Helen's Ikura Don


Dorayaki Ice Cream Tempura

Helen and Amy

Yihui, me, Helen, Amy

The next day, I went to try Ramen Santouka on the 2nd floor of Central. It just opened this year and one of my frens had said that it's not bad! The ramen hails from Asahikawa, Hokkaido which I've been there before to try the Japan No. 1 Shio Ramen! So expectations were high, and hoping it could displace one of my top 10 ramen restaurants in Singapore..

I ordered a Miso ramen set with Cha Han (fried rice) and my colleague ordered a Shio Ramen with Ikura don (Salmon Roe) set. Plus some gyoza as well. +1 for the nice simple decor and another +1 for the pretty waitress who speaks very fluent Japanese. Think her name is Emily (reading katakana has never been my forte...) I only uploaded those pics which were clear enough as I used my phone to take those photos below. I think the reso's not too bad for a 3.2 MP camera, eh?

Verdict: The Komi-tamago (lava egg) was delicious, not too salty and leaving a sweet aftertaste in the mouth even after some time. The noodles were an utter disappointment. In contrast to the thick, springy noodles available around, the noodles were bland and very thin. Unable to soak up the wholesome goodness of the soup, it just pales in comparison. Luckily, the soup saves the day for the ramen. Miso had the right proportion of saltiness and the amount of oil added to the it was just nice. The soup from the Shio Ramen, didn't taste too salty as well. :) I would give it 6 out of 10 and might come back another day.

To those who want to try, they do not take reservations and only accepts cash so be prepared.

Entrance to Santouka (it's read from right to left by the way...)

Miso Ramen

Ikura Don

No comments: